[Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior

Late to the discussion:

I can see the need for a more professional product, and heartily approve of most of the changes I have seen
in 2.8.  I even see the reasons behind the Save/Export changes, in terms of a professional workflow, of
file/process safety, and in cleaning up terminology.

The problem with the "professional paradigm," though, isn't necessarily that it's not better/safer, etc.,
it's that no printer in an 80 mile radius uses the GIMP's XCF format,  nor do any of the local graphic
designers.  All of them, however, can open TIFF, JPG, GIF, and BMP.  All of the printers and all but one of
the graphic designers can handle PSD (the last one uses PSP).

As a FLOSS evangelist, I have to say that familiarity and interoperability are two of our STRONGEST selling
point to potential users, generally coming before cost-Free, in users needs.  XCF already fails
interoperability, not being used to any great degree.  I am afraid that  even the terminology change of --
"I'm sorry, but you can't 'Save As" a JPG (or similar filetype that CAN be saved to in any other
commonly-used software), you have to 'Export To' "-- will appear to be a barrier to nervous new adopters.

I sell LibreOffice, by pointing out that not only can it OPEN almost everything, including DOCX and old Works
files, It also allows the option of setting default SAVES defaults to DOC --which can be read by everyone--
though with a "you will lose formatting" warning (that can be disabled).

I sell the GIMP to (non-"professional") Photoshop users with GimpShop.

If one of the goals of the GIMP is to expand our user base, I believe we need to keep familiarity and
interoperability in mind as we make changes and not push too strongly in directions which will frighten off
new adopters, casual OR professional.  While I will adopt the new Save/Export workflow in order to get the
much-anticipated-and-improved new text functionality and the new colorspace, I would respectfully ask the
devs to look at the following options, in the interest of balancing the needs of the professionals with the
needs of evangelism:

1) An option (as has been suggested multiple times) to set Save/Export back to previous functionality.  That
way, those of us who can benefit from the improved workflow can use it, but new users can still have the
comforting familiarity of the "tried and true."

2) An option to set a default save/export option, as in LibreOffice, possibly in conjunction with an XCF save
(maybe either as a "Save/Export Multiple" in preferences, ie. CTRL-S saves an XCF file, a PSD file AND an 85%
JPG file, all with the same filename)  This would be a real timesaver for those of us who frequently nip off
to the printer or save comparison samples.

3) A heirarchal file offering in the save/export menu:  save to XCF always offered first, export to similar
filetypes (PSD, PSP, PDN) second, but always available in the same menu, and the more limited filetypes last,
as in the previous version's "search for other extensions," which would be hidden unless called for.
Frequently used filetypes would remain visible as options.  This would focus attention on the correct and
preferred option, but allow the unfortunate necessary

4a) Timed autosaves in XCF format that are differentiated from the primary file, possibly multiple copies (up
to a limit, set in preferences), in the interest of preserving history.  This could be in combination with 1)
or 2), above.

4b) Timed autosaves which preserve history (up to a limit, set in preferences), in XCF format, and
differentiated from the primary file.  This could be in combination with 1) or 2), above.

As many have said before, I have nothing but appreciation for the devs and the massive amount of work they do
for those of us who can do nothing more than spread the Word of the GIMP, and I look forward, eagerly, to our
future advances and inevitable domination.

Excelsior!

What we _are_ doing is _focusing_ on a group of users who are
underloved by free software. We are building workflows around their
needs. We are _targeting_ those users.

New users will benefit from immediate exposure to the "professional
paradigm" and start paying attention to file formats from day one.

Long time users who often (or always) find no use for the XCF
format, will have to relearn or remap a keyboard shortcut or two to
keep the same speed & convenience they are used to.  Long time users
who routinely save their work in XCF won't notice a major difference.

And really... guise... If you don't need the new GIMP color model,
you don't need the new version of GIMP.  I am guessing that is
approximately 100% of users who don't routinely save most files in
XCF as "part one" of their usual workflow.  It's not like you need
to keep your GIMP version current for the sake of security patches
or compatibility with external applications.  Keeping the "old" GIMP
also means that all your favorite plugins and scripts will keep
right on doing exactly what you expect them to do.

--
darnkitten (via gimpusers.com)