Re: [Gimp-user] jpeg loss on multiple export (Was: HATE the new save vs. export behavior)

On 5/3/2012 8:15 AM, Jay Smith wrote:

Jonathan, I hope that you realized that when editing a JPG, repeatedly
saving/exporting to JPG (your step 4) reduces the quality (actually
compresses / deletes data). Maybe this has been working for what you are
doing, but I beleive it is contrary to what most users do -- because
they don't want to diminish quality/data.

I've always been puzzled by statements like this.

GIMP doesn't reload the file after exporting, does it?
If not, then the image in the GIMP's buffer should be the same high quality image it was prior to the export. Given that, as long as you don't exit the GIMP or reload the image from the exported file, multiple exports to a lossy format shouldn't cause loss of quality.

For example, if you do an export to jpeg and compress down to 15%, with the preview option set you can clearly see the loss of quality in the written image. However, when the export is complete, the image in the buffer reverts to the high quality it was prior to the export.

Is there something I'm missing?

Gary