Re: [Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior

I'm on the fence.  On one hand, I fully understand the reason for this change; on the other, it's such a sudden change (compared to every previous version of GIMP ever) that it CAN (and, really, should) be handled better:

When you use the "Save As" command and type a filename other than XCF, I would personally want to see, instead of simply telling you that Save is only for GIMP's native .xcf format and use the "Export" command for other formats, give it a prompt -- have it ask something like " 'Save' uses GIMP's internal image format only - would you like to Export a copy in [file format]?  [export / cancel]"

Likewise, if you've opened up an image from a non-XCF format, the "Save" (not "Save As") command should ask whether you intend to save the file in GIMP's native XCF format or re-export it back to the original file format.  (Current behavior is to pop up the "Save As" dialog box, just the same as with a new image -- which tends to result in situation #1 described above)

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com