Re: [Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior

The lack of an ability to "save" in any file type but GIMP's native XCF is a necessary drawback for the change, but I do agree that it is an uncomfortable one for many users (myself sometimes included).

If you compare Inkscape, it's a vector editor so its "Save" commands, despite all of the file formats it supports, are all vector document formats so if you want to rasterize it you use the "Export" command (which only supports PNG).

It is true, however, that many professional and commercial apps do not make a save/export distinction and allow you to "save" your document in any supported filetype -- MS Word, for example.  You can open/save a document in a non-native format at any time, all you get is an extra prompt when using the "Save" command which basically asks whether you do want to save it in a non-native format, noting that the format chosen may or may not support "some features" that your actual document may or may not even use.

I saw a blog entry once criticizing open-source software in general on the grounds that many open-source developers don't take the users' interests as seriously as commercial devs do.  Used the metaphor that "if your program can't do it right by your old Aunt Betty, then you're not doing it right at all".  I don't want to criticize GIMP devs (beyond lightly, anyway) but I can definitely see where that blogger was coming from.

In the meantime I can confirm (and have reported) that the current save/export distinction has actual, bonafide bugs in it -- for example, the reason why the "Overwrite [filename]" command doesn't show a keyboard shortcut like the "Export (Ctrl+E)" command does is because the Overwrite and Export options are actually TWO separate commands (check your Keyboard Shortcuts preferences screen and see for yourself).  That's right:  GIMP has three menu commands for exporting non-XCF files when there should only be two ("Export" and "Export as", the analogue for "Save" and "Save As").  And even though GIMP only ever shows two on the menu at any time, you can access all three at any time via shortcuts and they have subtle differences in behavior that range from inconsistent to counter-intuitive.

For example, if you open a non-XCF image and immediately pound Ctrl+E you are prompted for the filename, prompted to overwrite the existing file, and then prompted for your format options.  That's three extra clicks that have no logical reason to even exist, because had you selected the "Overwrite [filename]" command instead, GIMP would have simply saved the file back to its original format with No Questions Asked.  And it gets better:  Hit Ctrl+E a second time after all this, now GIMP saves the image back to its non-XCF format with no prompts whatsoever.

On the sunny side though ... at least the keyboard shortcut issue has a partial workaround:  Go to your Keyboard Shortcuts Preferences and switch Ctrl+E from "Export to" to "Overwrite [filename]".  This will eliminate a lot of clicks when all you want to do is open a non-XCF file, change some pixels and resave.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com