Re: [Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 11:21 PM, Jonathan Kamens  wrote:

I use many of GIMP's features. I'm not just removing red-eyes from my family photos. Yeah, I'm not a professional designer; no one is paying me for the output of my work, nor am I publishing it as art. But it feels to me like perhaps the GIMP team's vision of its target audience is overly limiting and in the end will benefit neither GIMP nor its user base.

I have to ask, do really not save your edits as XCF files? Even if I am doing a red eye removal, I duplicate the layer and work on that, saving the file as an XCF, so I can always revert back, if needed....

I find the new paradigm quite intuitive, once I thought about it and gave it a try.  The native format is XCF, which is the only thing you save.  Everything else is an export to a lossy (in some manner) format.

The inconsistent behaviour of the overwrite should probably be brought up to the gimp devs, if it doesn't line up with the outline.

-Rob A>