Re: [Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior

On 05/02/2012 08:45 PM, Jonathan Kamens wrote:
New way:

   1. "gimp file.jpg".
   2. Make changes.
   3. Open File menu and select "Overwrite" (no keyboard shortcut for
      that!).
   4. Periodically type ctrl-e to save further progress (because for
      some inexplicable reason, once you use the "Overwrite" command it
      disappears and is replaced with the "Export" command which appears
      to do exactly the same thing, but /this/ one has a keyboard
      shortcut; how does that make sense, exactly)?

Jonathan, I hope that you realized that when editing a JPG, repeatedly saving/exporting to JPG (your step 4) reduces the quality (actually compresses / deletes data). Maybe this has been working for what you are doing, but I beleive it is contrary to what most users do -- because they don't want to diminish quality/data.

   5. Type ctrl-q.
   6. GIMP tells me I have unsaved changes, even though I just saved
      them with ctrl-e.
   7. Click "Discard Changes" to really exit.