Re: [Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior

First off, I'll say that I understand the rationale for the newer save/export behavior, and even if it needed to be tweaked a little to provide a better user experience it's best for devs to see how people adjust and look at how feedback develops over the next months rather than simply giving up on their vision and reverting immediately because of a few naysayers.

(Someone could argue that the GIMP could identify times when other formats will serve just as well as xcf and then allow for saving. For instance, if you load a png, do a bunch of editing, and arrive at something that has only one layer, "saving" as png might seem appropriate. OpenRaster especially would usually do fine as a "save" format. But this might lead to complications, esp. because allowing saves to "weaker" lossless formats whenever you aren't using things that format is missing would mean whether you can save in your original format could change a lot during the course of editing an image.)

My main reason for writing here is to warn about the elitist attitude starting to show itself, which would harm the project in the long run. It's fine to target high-end use, but acting as though uses fall into two sharply distinct categories of "high-end" and "casual" and that one kind of user always uses it in "high-end" ways while others always use it in "casual" ways is totally farcical and counterproductive. The truth of the matter is that there is no sharp distinction. It's a continuum, both among uses and among users. Even a professional user may often want to use their favorite image editor to take care of some work that doesn't really require "high-end" capabilities. Appeal to the most technical professional users isn't a dominating reason for Photoshop's huge success or for whatever popularity the GIMP now enjoys. That success is at least as much because they give users whose needs could usually have been satisfied by something simpler an app with room to grow -- and the confidence that if something they're working on proves to be more demanding they won't be suddenly crashing against the limitations of their software.

Saying "Look, your use case means you might not understand the reasons behind our design decision right now" is perfectly fine. But some posts here have gotten way too close to "You're not 'high-end' enough to be a gimp user, so go away" which is destructive.