Re: [Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior

On Fri, 4 May 2012 09:52:32 +0400
Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre prokoudine gmail com> wrote:

We don't know exactly what you do ing GIMP during those unsafe workflows.

About 90% of the time I load PNGs or jpegs (100s of them), edit them,
and save them back in the same format - I don't have any necessity for
XCF in these cases.

We don't know if the sequence of actions you do can only be performed in GIMP.

I'm not sure what this question means. Would you prefer I use another
program instead of Gimp? I only use Linux (have been for 15-odd years),
and Gimp is the only mature (bitmap) graphics editor I know.

We don't know if your choice of GIMP as a tool is justified by logic,
habit or accident.

Choice (see previous point).

We don't know if you need this unsafe workflow all the time or half the time.

I'm not sure what's unsafe. I like the actual (2.6) flow for most of my
work (see first point).

Note that I haven't installed the new Gimp yet. From what I can
understand in the discussion is that Open still opens all formats, but
Save doesn't save anything but XCF. That's just not logical, practical
or even aesthetic.

It certainly is not intuitive. The operation should be symmetrical: If I
open a PNG, save should save a PNG (unless I applied changes which would
disappear if saved as a PNG, in which case I'd like a warning).

Which is, in fact, the behaviour we have now in 2.6, isn't it?

John