[Gimp-user] HATE the new save vs. export behavior

In other words, just when we got rid of disruptive warnings you are
siggesting to return one of them and add another one so that the first
one wouldn't feel lonely? :)

Alexandre Prokoudine

I never found the "need to flatten layers before exporting" warnings to be particularly disruptive. Would be
nice to have an option to suppress it, but it was doing it's job and warning me that I would be losing
layers, etc. As someone else said, LibreOffice handles this perfectly with a single warning when you try to
save a file in a non-native format.

I do use .XCF files and it is a good format. But that is only 10-20% of the files I work on and I certainly
don't want to use it as an intermediary format on every image I edit.

It seems to me that the issue is less about the mechanics of saving/exporting and more about the implied
repositioning of GIMP itself. It was/is a high-end image editor supporting multiple formats including it's
own comprehensive one. With this change however you seem to be saying that you are now a powerful .XCF editor
that can import/export other formats too. The replies above saying maybe people should be using other
software for pure jpeg edits back this feeling up. The message we general users get from that is simple -
"Use mainly .XCF files, or live with the discomfort, or leave". It is a clear split in the userbase and the
aggression behind people opposing the change is understandable.

--
DanBrown (via gimpusers.com)