Re: [Evolution] Reply for list messages should go back to the list

On Fri, 2010-07-16 at 15:12 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
What I think is rude and unacceptable are the people who write a
message to a list where *they* are asking for help and they say "don't
forget to CC: me in any replies because I don't want to read the
list". If you are asking for help, at least be polite enough to meet
people half way. It is often the same people who ask FAQs.

We're getting a bit OT here, but I agree with Pete on this. My take on
it as follows:

David has said several times that it's rude not to reply directly (via
CC) to posts on mailing lists. I have to say this is the first time I've
seen this position advocated. Maybe I've led a sheltered life, but I
don't recall it being mentioned in any of the usual guides to netiquette
and couldn't find any mention of it on the first page of results
returned by a Google search ("netiquette mailing lists"). Perhaps I
didn't look hard enough, but that in itself would indicate that it's not
a common opinion.

People who ask questions on mailing lists are not writing to me, they
are writing to a group of people represented by the list membership.
Think of it as asking a question in a town-hall meeting. Given that they
aren't writing to me, why should I assume I need to reply explicitly to
them (unless they request it) as well as giving a public response?
Rudeness doesn't enter into it. A public forum is not the same as a
private communication.

Now back to our regularly-scheduled program.

poc