Re: [Evolution] Reply for list messages should go back to the list

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 17:15 -0400, Paul Smith wrote:
What I'm suggesting is that we retarget "Reply to All" (Shift-Ctrl-R)
and the button to be, instead "Reply Publicly" (or you can keep it named
"Reply to All" for all I care).

OK, I can agree with that.

 This button would DTRT based on the message, to send a public reply.
So, in this mode replies to mailing lists with List-Post headers would
go there only.  Otherwise it behaves as today.

The problem with that suggestion is that there are people (including
myself) who firmly believe that the "right" thing to do with a list
message is to *include* the original sender when replying, unless you're
sure they don't want you to.

There are plenty of reasons for this....

The sender may not be subscribed to the list, and even if they are
subscribed they may not be looking in that folder very often, if ever.
It would be *extremely* rude to drop them from Cc when you're replying
to them.

Even if they are subscribed (and looking in that folder) there may also
be a substantial delay to receiving mails through the mailing list,
which will introduce significantly more latency than if the active
participants are directly in Cc, and detract from the conversation.

Let's not argue about that too much -- we won't make any progress. Let's
just recognise that this 'DTRT' thing that you suggest is hard when we
can't agree on what TRT is.

But I have already posted a patch which *optionally* makes the existing
'Reply to All' button do what you propose, so you can set that option if
you want. And yes, I also say that you can keep it named "Reply to All"
for all I care, so that's what I did.
--
dwmw2

 I think I did, at least. If not it'll only take five minutes.