Re: [Evolution] Reply for list messages should go back to the list

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 10:47 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
 1. Nag popup for "you are replying privately to a mailing list message"
 2. Nag popup for "you are replying to all, to many recipients"

Both of these are OK, as long as the usual conditions apply, i.e. the
state is represented somewhere in the Preferences and can be reversed if
the user changes his mind.

Yep. You get the 'Don't ask me again' in the pop-up itself, and you can
also go into the preferences to turn it on/off:

        http://david.woodhou.se/reply-nag.png
        http://david.woodhou.se/evo-composer-prefs.png

 3. A configuration option for ignoring Reply-To: when it matches
    a List-Post: header (just in prefs; no popup).

There needs to be an explicit per-message Reply To Author (Reply To
Sender) because sometimes you want it and sometimes you don't.

It might *also* be nice to have a per-message 'Reply to From: address'
action, I agree.

I'm starting to wonder if we should just have a drop-down list for the
reply options, like we do for forwarding :)

But really, I don't think we want it to get that bad -- we don't want a
proliferation of different options.

 In fact I think mostly you don't, but when you do (on munged lists)
you really do.

The current option, if enabled, *only* takes effect on munged lists.
Specifically, it will only ignore a Reply-To: address if that address
matches the address in a List-Post: header.

Do you agree that *if* the user is sophisticated enough to actually go
and configure it, they're probably the kind of user who can manage to
press the correct button anyway? So this idea isn't likely to do very
much for the *really* novice users?

Could be, but we're not just doing this for the novices. Experts also
make the occasional mistake.

Absolutely. I'm just trying to focus the discussion. If we agree that
it's not really for the novices, then we can concentrate on what the
more experienced users need...

--
dwmw2