Re: [Evolution] Reply for list messages should go back to the list

   [ ] Reply button invokes mailing list reply

This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The user can *already* express a
preference, by moving their hand an inch or two to the left or right and
hitting a different (key|menu item|button).

But there isn't a "Reply to List" button - so instead of hitting the
reply button, you have to press ctrl-L or Message -> Reply to list.  And
no, I do not consider "Reply to All" to be suitable substitute for
"Reply to List".

This strikes me being a "DWIM" feature so that the user only has to bash
their head on the keyboard to get what they want.... as long as they've
preconfigured it.

In general, those who are sophisticated enough to preconfigure anything
are perfectly capable of hitting the right buttons in the first place.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of point in such a context-dependent
action, for someone who knows what they're doing.

I disagree. I have to consciously think "I'm dealing with a mailing list
post, so I don't want to click reply, I need to take my hand of the
mouse before I start typing the reply and then do Ctrl-L, then put my
hand back on the mouse to EDIT the message before starting to type."  If
I happen to be typing a quick reply to something on a list there is a
distinct (and high) possibility that I will automatically click Reply.

The real target of this automatic behaviour would be the clueless users
who don't really think about what they're doing -- yes?

Ah, OK. I must be a clueless user then...

Which brings us to...

Then we can debate an appropriate default for the preference.

If we're exposing it in the UI *instead* of the existing 'Reply' action,
then it really *has* to be private by default. The existing UI action
sends private mail, and we can't sensibly change that. Least
catastrophic failure mode and all that. So again it would only benefit
those who are paying sufficient attention to configure it in the first
place, which makes it rather pointless.

Virtually all of the direct replies I get from posts on this list (and
others) are from novice users - they do not realise they sent it
directly to me, they thought they were sending to the list.  All of the
direct replies from experienced users are usually followed within a few
minutes by another email saying something like "Sorry, I replied
directly to you in my haste, that should have gone to the list".

Your experience may be different, but changing the default of Reply for
a list message to be Reply-to-list would catch both of those cases - I
see very little against it. Perhaps the nag box should be the opposite
way round. i.e. it gives a warning when you hit reply and Evo chooses to
use Reply-to-list instead - the nag box can be disabled and also give a
pointer on how to turn off the feature.

P.