Re: [Evolution] Reply for list messages should go back to the list

On Thu, 2010-07-15 at 18:22 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
 because even though your normal
preference is to reply-to-list on list messages, you might *sometimes*
want to reply-to-all on a list message instead?

No, I need to reply all for normal messages - life isn't just about
lists :-)

That sounds like a 'no'. A single button which does "reply to list if
it's a list message, else reply to all" would handle both of those
situations.

Also I need a reply all for list messages when I get a CC: copy without
the list headers in the message.

When you get a Cc copy without the list headers in the message, that
*isn't* a list message in any meaningful sense of the term -- it's a
direct message.

One issue is that *I* don't have Evo 2.30 because I haven't had time to
upgrade to F13, so I didn't know about the drop down toolbar buttons.  I
would be against overloading a single button with multiple meanings.

Yeah, the drop-down toolbar button is nicer. That's what I've done.

I don't have a particular objection to "Group Reply" - although within
the context of a "Groupware" solution, the term "Group" may have a
specific meaning and may cause confusion.

Part of the problem is that I have feeling you see Reply-all and
Reply-list to be quite similar, whereas I see them as conceptually
separate operations - consequently I have problems thinking of a term
that satisfactorily covers both.  This is probably also why I see there
to be a need for both buttons, and you don't.

I do see them a bit like that, yes. But mostly I don't see the need for
reply-to-list at all -- as discussed elsewhere I think it's a
fundamentally broken thing to do. So I'm trying to understand the point
of view of those that *do* want it.

My understanding *was* that those people who wanted reply-to-list would
want to use it for *all* lists. Remember, the existing reply-to-list
operation *already* falls back to replying to all if it can't find a

You described above a couple of cases where you'd not want to reply to
the List-Post: addresss... but both of those were cases that wouldn't
have a List-Post: header in the first place, so if you'd set the option
for 'Group Reply button does reply-to-list' then you'd have been fine.

--
dwmw2