Re: Splash screens (Re: Arlo, a little QA...)

Ken Fox wrote:

> Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > I really don't think that's using too much
> > screen estate (and anyway it's *nothing* compared to the
> > current splash-screen use).
>
> Isn't the whole idea of a splash screen to hit the user
> with a clue-by-four? I'd rather see fast, huge and *useful*
> splash screens. For example, why doesn't every splash
> screen have a check-box to disable it? Why doesn't every
> splash screen have a hyperlink to the documentation?
>
> Couldn't everybody live with a system where the first time
> an application is run the developer credits show and the user
> is given an option to never see it again?
>
> Anyways, I agree with the ideas about having flashing
> task bars, etc. It would also be useful to have the applet
> detect when it's hidden and take an alternative action.
> Blinking the keyboard leds or something. ;)

This brings up another question: if we have a blinking/flashing/color
change of the task bar indicating a started app, should we do that to a
virtual desktop? My first inclination is not, but put it up to you folks
for comment.

I wouldn't mind a "first time' splashscreen, but 2 through a million
would not be showing itself.

Has anyone checked out Mac OS X to see how they handle this issue?  If I
remember, I think they open a window and show a red dot in the window
bar which then turns to green when ready.

Kevin
begin:vcard
n:Cullis;Kevin
tel;home:720-489-9283
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;8285 S Poplar Way #202;Englewood;CO;80112;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:kevincu orci com
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Kevin Cullis