Re: Splash screens (Re: Arlo, a little QA...)

Le jeu, 26 oct 2000 01:37:50, Alan a écrit :
> On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 01:20:01AM +0200, Guillermo S.
> Romero / Familia Romero wrote:
> > Nicolas Mailhot email enst fr (2000-10-26 at 0112.59
> +0200):
> > > Or else, perhaps even a dedicated applet that displays
> > > mini-icons of apps being launched.
> > [...]
> > > This, of course is a nice dream of mine. Before this a
> > > simple « hide splash screens » control center toggle
> would
> > > be enough for me.
> >
> > Does not sound bad at all. Except if anybody has a good
> reason to
> > choose one over the other, I guess it is a thing that
> could be tested,
> > what is better, what people get faster?
> > a - special entry in task bar.
> > b - new applet to eat info of launching apps.
> >
> > A reason to choose b is that task bar unifies things,
> but I dunno if
> > it is a good enough reason.

Well, we already had to split the task list because it was
trying to do two things at once, so you might consider
splitting it beforehand this time:). People might want to
put the task list into a auto-hiding panel, for example, and
the launch applet in a corner of their screen, never hidden.

> It is an interesting idea, but not perfect IMHO.
> Basically you're going to
> have two task lists now, one with starting apps (I start
> more than one thing
> at a time a lot) and one for normal apps.  Eating dock
> space is not a good
> thing on a 640x480 display (if I had one that is).

So what ? 2 applets means a smaller task list, so you won't
loose so much screen estate. And consider mini icons are
*much* smaller than a task list entry, and the behaviour I
propose is not a normal task list entry one, so implementing
in the task list would be a kludge.

BTW I like the idea of separating geographicaly starting ans
started apps. Much more confortable IMHO.

> You'd have to make this applet large enough to see the
> mini-icons for several
> windows that takes up memory/cpu/panelspace.  If it's
> dynamically resizable
> type thing, well, no offense but that sucks :)

Should be an option like for the task list. And if
mini-icons are used like in quicklaunch, a 4-app launch tray
(suficient for most people) would take the space of one
normal launcher. I really don't think that's using too much
screen estate (and anyway it's *nothing* compared to the
current splash-screen use).

> I personally (speaking as a user) think that the kde way
> (put an entry in the
> task list with a visual cue that something is happening)
> is a great way of
> doing it.  A bit confusing at first,

So why not tweak it a little to do the same without being
confusing ?

--
Nicolas