Re: Splash screens (Re: Arlo, a little QA...)

"Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero" wrote:

> Nicolas Mailhot email enst fr (2000-10-25 at 2232.26 +0200):
> > Same should be said about the current boom of gnome
> > splash-screens
> > (nausilus+evolution1+evolution2+gimp+gnome-startup+...).
> >
> > I don't mind if tigert loves splash-screens *BUT* if every
> > gnome app is going to have one or more of these
> > splash-screen-lovers should poll their ressources to
> > implement a capplet controlling all these before users quit
> > screaming.
>
> gimp allows "--no-splash". So just make your launcher add that
> param. GNOME startup also has a parameter, or at least an option in
> Control Center.
>
> But as GNOME is about better computer use, your idea of a global
> "splash screen default" toggle, IMHO, should be taken into account...
> and coded. To be precisse, apps should have both options (--no-splash
> and --splash) for cmd line (and launcher) invocation, and follow the
> global default every user chooses.
>
> Another thing that should be desirable (but not a must) is splash
> configuration. Why can I change my background and not the splash
> screens? And yes, I know I can recompile or change a file somewhere,
> but I would not call that nice (specially if I have no root account).
>
> > I'm really disapointed by the utter disrepect of user
> > feedback of all these organisations. People have been
> > pleading on this list for less, not more splashs for months,
> > but everyone seems more concerned of having more or bigger
> > splash than others these days.
>
> After all, many will point that splash screens disturb and make things
> slower, when you want to keep working in other things. On the other
> hand people want to recognize things... users avoided brands in menu
> (compare MS Windows Start menu to GNOME menu organization) but just
> was a temporary thing.
>
> If nobody has anything against, I archive this in ~ so I do not
> forget, and can repost it as soon as I see a UI draft (suposing it
> already does not cover this point).

What we came to the conclusion was similar to what KDE has, no splash
screen, but a new window which 1.indicates a process has started, and 2.
Once the app is up and running, it looks like your normal GNOME task
bar.  I had suggested that the bar FLASH until the app is completely
loaded to indicate that something has started.

Kevin
begin:vcard
n:Cullis;Kevin
tel;home:720-489-9283
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;8285 S Poplar Way #202;Englewood;CO;80112;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:kevincu orci com
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
fn:Kevin Cullis