Re: Splash screens (Re: Arlo, a little QA...)

On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 01:20:01AM +0200, Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero wrote:
> Nicolas Mailhot email enst fr (2000-10-26 at 0112.59 +0200):
> > Or else, perhaps even a dedicated applet that displays
> > mini-icons of apps being launched.
> [...]
> > This, of course is a nice dream of mine. Before this a
> > simple « hide splash screens » control center toggle would
> > be enough for me.
>
> Does not sound bad at all. Except if anybody has a good reason to
> choose one over the other, I guess it is a thing that could be tested,
> what is better, what people get faster?
> a - special entry in task bar.
> b - new applet to eat info of launching apps.
>
> A reason to choose b is that task bar unifies things, but I dunno if
> it is a good enough reason.

It is an interesting idea, but not perfect IMHO.  Basically you're going to
have two task lists now, one with starting apps (I start more than one thing
at a time a lot) and one for normal apps.  Eating dock space is not a good
thing on a 640x480 display (if I had one that is).

You'd have to make this applet large enough to see the mini-icons for several
windows that takes up memory/cpu/panelspace.  If it's dynamically resizable
type thing, well, no offense but that sucks :)  I had my normal tasklist do
dynamic resizing and to have my panel change size everytime I opened a new
window (I don't have it all the way across the screen) was extremely
distracting.  Besides, the mini-icon is going to end up on the task list in a
second or two *anyway*...

I personally (speaking as a user) think that the kde way (put an entry in the
task list with a visual cue that something is happening) is a great way of
doing it.  A bit confusing at first, but once you see what is going on it's
nice (especially if you can't hear the HD crunching (which is how I normally
determine if something is happening or not :)

Arc

--
Arcterex <arcterex userfriendly org>   -==-   http://arcterex.net
"I used to herd dairy cows. Now I herd lusers. Apart from the isolation, I