Re: [Gimp-developer] Bring back normal handling of other file formats

Am 22.06.2012 01:39, schrieb Guillermo Espertino (Gez):
El 21/06/12 20:22, Elle Stone escribió:
On 6/21/12, Tobias Oelgarte<tobias oelgarte googlemail com>  wrote:
I entirely agree with the observation that the "export" entry in the
menu is badly positioned. It really "disappears" between the icon heavy
"save" and "print" sections, which really seduces me to accidentally
switch off my brain and select the "save as..." entry.

Tobias, that is an excellent observation - the heavy Save, Save as
icons (plus two options seldom used, then a line) and No icons for
Export to, Export - that would help explain why my eyes just don't
"see" the export options - they do disappear behind all the visual
competition
Notice that gnome-based desktops don't show icons in menus anymore (at least in the default form), so that isn't always true. But it's a good point anyway, probably against the inclusion of icons in menus.

Gez

Actually i love icons and would miss them. If they are placed wisely and are easily distinguishable then i don't even need to read the text, which improves my working speed significantly. A good example for the use of icons is nearly every media player. Who does not understand the "play/stop/pause/..." buttons that just use a typical icon instead of text? I compare icons to Japanese kanji where recognizing a single character is a whole different experience compared to reading latin letters that form a word.

But in case of Gimps File menu we have not very well distinguishable icons, placed in a bad way (wrong weighting) and not really good placed items in general. I mean what has "Export..." to do with "Create Template..." to be inside the same section, or why is "export to" disabled if "Save" isn't?

I would recommend to give the export functionality a useful icon and to seperate it from "Create Template", while renaming "Save" to "Save xcf" or "Save project" and "Save as..." to "Save project as/under...".

Tobias Oelgarte