Re: [Gimp-developer] Bring back normal handling of other file formats

> Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 09:22:43 +1000
> From: graeme2 argyllcms com
> To: gimp-developer-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Bring back normal handling of other file formats
>
> Simon Budig wrote:
> > This discussion really boils down to a matter of taste and there are
> > arguments for both ways. Unfortunately in your case you're taste weighs
> > less than the taste of Peter to the developers.
>
> If it was purely taste, I wouldn't bother commenting.
> It's a lack of logic though - just because there are
> situations where loss of information that the user values
> can occur, doesn't mean that every situation is like that.
>
> > Sorry, sometimes we can't make it right for everyone.
>
> And that's my point - it could be made right for everyone.
>
> Graeme Gill.

Agree wholeheartedly.  There are parties on both sides of the debate, and we certainly know which side's opinions have (pun totally intended) more "volume".

The (as someone so pithily phrased it) "Ha ha ha - No way am I letting you do that" manner in which GIMP informs you of the Save/Export distinction can be anything from merely harmless to downright offensive, depending on your individual workflow (and peculiar temperament).

So if I may throw an echo into the room and ask why the particular message box CAN NOT provide a yes/no prompt, with "Yes" transferring control to the Export box and "No" cancelling back to the Save dialog?

- It could be maybe three lines of program code and one string resource, tops
- It would NOT in any manner affect users who do a lot of XCF work and/or prefer the new save/export model in any manner.  They're not likely to get the distinction mixed up.
- It would accommodate users who have difficulty adjusting to the save/export distinction, reducing the number of extra clicks by up to three.

What is there that makes this not desirable?

As an analogue:  If I typed a word like "hotmali" into Google, the search engine has no reason to assume that maybe I was trying to type "hotmail" instead and got my keys mixed up by mistake.  But it does.  Its keyword database knows that this could be a plausible misspelling of a much more popular search query, so it searches for the more popular term but also discloses that it did so (with an option to search for the keyword as originally spelled, in the case that actually was what I wanted).

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com