Re: [Gimp-developer] Bring back normal handling of other file formats

> Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 16:04:31 -0400
> From: jay JaySmith com
> To: gimp-developer-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Bring back normal handling of other file formats
>
> People seem to learn best from adversity. If you corrupt your own image
> file and did not make a pre-editing backup copy, you just might learn
> something. However, if that same user is "protected" from doing
> something stupid, then the user will learn nothing.

"Once bitten, twice shy."

Or as I like to say to myself, the smarter the technology the dumber the user.

It also relates to my complaint of why the "Export [filename]" command should be separate from the "Overwrite [filename]" command.  One of the responses I got (on the bugtracker, in fact) was "accidental overwrites are bad" -- why is that?  If you were working on an XCF file and make a significant, possibly destructive change (like changing to indexed-color mode), there is no mechanism to "protect" you from accidentally selecting Save if you really meant Save As, and this is not considered a problem.  So why is the equivalent scenario in the import/export case suddenly a problem?

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com