Re: [Gimp-developer] Bring back normal handling of other file formats

On 06/20/2012 02:50 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

A universally accepted truth is that users don't read warnings. This
will surely freak out few geeks who do read warnings carefully and
recite them occasionally over a pint of beer in a pub, but mostly
people really try to make stupid dialogs go away ASAP.

Alexandre Prokoudine

I have to agree that most users don't read (or perhaps more correctly, don't comprehend) warnings. However, often in open-source development there seems to be a general attitude that the "quality" of the software should be primary and protecting users from their own stupidity should be secondary. In fact, in my observation of open source conversations over the years, including occasionally in the past by only one or two people that were on this list, there has been a general attitude on the part of a few individuals that "ordinary users" are morons and should be ignored. Yet in this situation, the developers are tripping over themselves to protect the users from their own ignorance and inattention.

It just seems so odd... I feel like I have fallen into software Wonderland.

It has been pointed out several times that most of the developers are located in Europe. Europe has a reputation of having much more stifling government regulations and rules than North America. Could this be related -- the concept that people must be protected from themselves?

Pretty soon there will be a law that coffee may only be served cold because somebody might burn their tongue.

People seem to learn best from adversity. If you corrupt your own image file and did not make a pre-editing backup copy, you just might learn something. However, if that same user is "protected" from doing something stupid, then the user will learn nothing. They will not become a better user. There is a fine line between successfully using the software and everything being a "learning by making mistakes" experience. However, if users are coddled, you will simply end up with users that become progressively even more ignorant. If users choose not to read warnings or don't take the time to think about and comprehend the meaning of warnings, then maybe the users deserve the spanking that they will receive as a result of their own action / inaction. Or is spanking illegal now too?

[Not a serious suggestion] Maybe Gimp should, upon opening a file, make an archival copy of that file so that he user who fails to make a pre-editing backup copy, the user will be protected from his/herself.

The bottom line of this change to best serve a particular "target user group" is that *my company* has fallen outside the definition decided by the developers. My company is now outside the "target user group".

IMHO I think the developers meant well to change the save/export situation, however, a mess has been made of it.

What's wrong with the Libre Office method: Open a non-ODX file, make a change, do a Save, get a dialog box that asks if you want to save in the old format (and lose any non-compatible changes) or in ODX format? The 'old format' button is already highlighted, so the user just has to hit the Enter key. Why is that approach so terrible? It seems to be okay for those (perhaps millions???) of users? And certainly users of word processing programs may possibly be less sophisticated than users of powerful image creation/editing software.

Unless something is done to arrive at a reasonable solution, my only remedy for my company is to lock down Gimp upgrades at the pre-change (save/export mess) level. When the time comes when the "old" Gimp will no longer run on our workstations, we will have to switch to another program ... and retrain staff on that other program. It is a real shame. I would much prefer that my staff would be able to use one SINGLE program for both highly productive workflow (open TIFF, make minor tweaks such as Curves, save/close as TIFF) and major editing/creation work that does need everything that XCF has to offer.

It is extremely valuable in a commercial environment to train on a SINGLE program, rather than duplicate training in multiple programs (to say nothing of maintaining, upgrading, etc.). The needs of commercial environments often seems to be forgotten in open source development planning.

ONE QUESTION... relating to locking down Gimp upgrades due to this situation: As of Gimp 2.6.6 (on Ubuntu Linux), the creation perms for TIFF (and I think some other) file types are wrong. I reported this bug (after being told that *I* must be doing something wrong) and the bug was quickly confirmed & fixed in development versions (thank you for that). However, what is the most recent (if there is one at all) non-development Gimp version (to run on Ubuntu 8.04 or 10.04) that contains the creation perms fix AND is BEFORE the new save-export-mess version?

Jay