Re: [Gimp-developer] Bring back normal handling of other file formats

> Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 10:03:41 +0200
> From: gg catking net
> To: gimp-developer-list gnome org
> Subject: [Gimp-developer] Bring back normal handling of other file formats
> [...]
>
> Gimp's inability to work with standard formats is becoming a major PITA.
>
> Perhaps "gimp" was not such a bad name for it after all, its functionality
> is becoming crippled.

Ouch, that is an awesome pun.

IMHO, limiting Save to XCF only invariably sends the conceptual message that GIMP is no longer the "GNU Image Manipulation Program" -- it is now the "GNU Image Making Program".

I still believe GIMP should, instead of merely informing the user that Save operates in XCF only, offer an export/save xcf/cancel option which would alleviate the need to go back and use a different dialog as a separate step.  (You never know if a user might actually WANT to save their GIMP file under a non-XCF filename)

I doubt that would violate the terms of the Save/Export spec that the dev team swears by.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com