Re: [Evolution] Evolution/GPG

Am Montag, den 22.02.2016, 11:50 +0000 schrieb Patrick O'Callaghan:
On Mon, 2016-02-22 at 09:22 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:
(...)

Yes - S/MIME works by a "Trusted Third Party" issuing signed Email
Certificates. The only verification done by someone like Comodo when
they issue personal certificates is that the certificate is sent to
the
email address specified.  The advantage of S/MIME is that you do not
need to have verified knowledge of the sender's public key in order
verify the email - the public key is sent with the message and you
trust the party that signed the key that it belongs to the person you
think it does.  The disadvantage is that you put all your trust into
third party - it is not unknown for the signing keys from these
"trusted" bodies to go astray and to be abused or that someone has
managed to acquire a signed key for a random email address.

There have also been cases of the Certificate Authority (CA) issuing
genuine certificates to imposters. A famous case of Verisign giving out
several Microsoft certs a few years ago comes to mind. Such certs are
normally revoked when discovered, but revoking is another can of worms
in itself and doesn't work all that well.

So the best way is: Don't e-mail your secrets ;-) !!!

Seems that the only rational use case for e-mail is letting the CIA or
Homeland work for you (German staircase wit since we have data
preservation. I guess yo all know it - and that should now be enough to
make myself suspicious ;-)

An Arab writes an e-mail to his son:

„Dear son, I am old and cannot any longer work in the garden. I know you
live far away in America, but could you please visit me and dig up the
garden?“

On which the son writes back:

„Dear father, we may not dig up the garden, because of the THING that
lies there.“

On the next morning a whole troop of CIA agents appears and digs up the
whole garden like crazy, finding nothing however.

Whereupon the old man gets another mail from his son:

„Well, it has been solved? That was the least I could do for you ; -) “