Re: [Evolution] Evolution/GPG

On Fri, 2016-02-05 at 12:41 +0100, Stig Roar Wangberg wrote:
I really don't understand why I can read a message if it's encrypted
with their public key. I shouldn't be able to do that. When I use gpg -r
ID -e , I can't read that gpg-file after. So am I encrypting my
emails in here with my own public key? All my contact's public keys are
imported and added to my key-ring. I'm just puzzled that I'm actually
able to read a text encrypted with someone else's key.

OK.  The text of the message is not encrypted with a users key; the
text of the message is encrypted using a symmetric key - the key for
*that* method (the session key) is encrypted using public keys, and,
the important bit, there can be multiple public key encryptions in one
message. So for a command line example you can encrypt a file using

   gpg -r ID1 -r ID2 -r ID3 -e <file>

Where one of those IDs is your own - hence you will be able to decrypt
the file because you will be able to decrypt the session key.

P.