Re: [Evolution] Evolution/GPG

su. den 21. 02. 2016 klokka 16.38 (+0000) skreiv Pete Biggs:
This is not the way it's supposed to work. If I don't check the
public
key is trusted, why should I believe a message signed with it?
Simply
picking up the key with the message is tantamount to doing nothing.
must either know the key beforehand (i.e. I have it in my keyring)
or I
fetch it from a public server and check who vouches for it.

poc

That's what I thought too. Like my friend and I. We physically
checked
each other's fingerprints too. We know who we are and who the key
belongs too. So of course we sign it and trust it.

Sorry, I've come a bit late to this bit of the conversation ...

Signing a message does two things:

 1) it verifies who the sender is and

 2) verifies that the contents of the message haven't changed.

In order to do both with any sort of veracity, you must know with
absolute certainty who the key that the message is signed with belongs
to.

Merely adding a public key to the message does NOT enable you to do
this.

Remember that ANYONE can generate a PGP public/private key pair in the
name of any person. So I can generate a key in Stig's name, write an
email spoofing his email address sign it and add the public key to the
email to "verify" the message ... would you accept it??  Even worse, I
could intercept a message between Stig and his friend, edit the plain
text, resign it with the bogus key and pass it on (with the public key
attached so it can be "verified").

No, you absolutely MUST NOT trust a public key attached to a message
unless it has been independently signed and verified by a 3rd party
*that you trust*.

It is only through a web of trust created by signed keys that you can
be reasonably certain that new keys are correct; and similarly, you
must only sign keys that you know WITH ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY belong to the
person.  I have been involved with CERT PGP key signing parties in the
past where the only valid form of identification is a passport and the
person must be physically present - but you do get a key that most
people trust!

P.

Extremely useful information, a lesson to learn by heart. If not their
passport (I know that in some cases it's the only valid ID), at least I
have the habit of meeting people face to face, like people I really
trust, before signing and trusting their key. I only encrypt to people I
trust IF the message requires it. And I have other computers and emails
for that too. But I also agree with Snowden. Sensitive, personal letters
to friends, family, co-workers and the like, is a good habit. Tails/Tor,
Signal for phone ... Strange times, and we should protect ourselves - if
we know how to do it. There's good quality from people in here. I choose
to listen, learn - and then make my own choices.

Stig