Re: Splash screens (Re: Arlo, a little QA...)

kfox vulpes com (2000-10-26 at 1020.44 -0400):
> > I really don't think that's using too much
> > screen estate (and anyway it's *nothing* compared to the
> > current splash-screen use).
> Isn't the whole idea of a splash screen to hit the user
> with a clue-by-four? I'd rather see fast, huge and *useful*

No, from what I have seen it is to make sure that the user knows who
made the app and buys more apps. Same than the MS Windows menu order,
a very commercial point of view, instead of a user centered concept
(GNOME got the menu right).

> splash screens. For example, why doesn't every splash
> screen have a check-box to disable it? Why doesn't every

That does sound better, with reenable option (demos, or just want to
see the splash again).

> splash screen have a hyperlink to the documentation?

Is not that a bit overkill? Sounds like mixing today's tip and about
window with splash screen.

The problem with splash screens is that we live in world with faster
computer, but not instantaneous, with multitasking systems, and in the
past they were slow and monotask. In my machine, first Gimp can take a
few seconds, next launches take 2 or less. So the splash is a blink,
supposing I did not used the --no-splash.

> Couldn't everybody live with a system where the first time
> an application is run the developer credits show and the user
> is given an option to never see it again?

We could, but I also like to see the About window, where all that info
is. And from other talks, that About window could be make useful
(links, credits, translation teams, etc) not another ad. And yes, I
think people must get credit... but the best way, IMO, to get it is by
doing things right, and then allowing people to see it, not forcing
it. If you want to buy more of something, I guess you can read the
label.

> Anyways, I agree with the ideas about having flashing
> task bars, etc. It would also be useful to have the applet
> detect when it's hidden and take an alternative action.
> Blinking the keyboard leds or something. ;)

See Xalf at http://www.lysator.liu.se/~altic/projects/xalf/ (thanks
Jorge). Xalf could just need more functions, like the LED idea, or
sounds, as someone said. But the base is there.

GSR