Re: Font Preferences Dialog Proposal Re: Font Configuration Applet

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 20:25 +0100, Samuel Abels wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 19:54, Andrew Johnson wrote:
> > > http://debain.org/stuff/fontpref.png
> > > http://debain.org/stuff/render.png
> >
> > I  like this overall and think this makes sense, if the dpi issue can be
> > resolved in an intelligent place and manner. Though moving dpi to the
> > RANDR applet, I am not entirely sure about, I can see it as being a
> > valid solution.
> >
> > The Font Zoom option idea would make sense perhaps adding it on the main
> > Fonts tab, beneath document fonts?
>
> In case a "Font Zoom" option would relate to all fonts, this...
>
> http://debain.org/stuff/render2.png
>
> ...IMO looks more reasonable then. The "Overall Options" may also be a
> good place in case we decide to keep the DPI settings in the font
> dialog.

How does the user know whether they want to:

 A) Make the font zoom factor bigger
 B) Make the individual font sizes bigger

Exposing these two axes in the same dialog strikes me as confusing.

(I don't consider us to expose these two axes currently .. the details
page of the dialog is all font-geek stuff; I *mostly* added it simply so
I could play around and figure out the right defaults for the
main page :-). Certainly by general GNOME GUI standards it shouldn't
be there at all.)

Regards,
						Owen