Re: Font Preferences Dialog Proposal Re: Font Configuration Applet

Today at 19:34, Samuel Abels wrote:

> Agreed. And while we are at touching the "Details..." Dialog of the font
> applet - that thing IMO needs a major rework. It is inconsistent with
> other dialogs, (Headings have a ":" appended, widgets have no indent
> relative to the headings, ...) and looks kind of cluttered anyway. And
> what good does that "Go to the font folder" there? It is not related to
> the rendering options in any way.

How about: "if I install a new font now, I can make use of it to get
different 'rendering' of the glyphs"? :)

This, of course, only means that we might need a better way to expose
users' fonts directory (as in more discoverable).

> Thinking more about that dialog - has anyone ever needed this at all?
> Maybe changing the subpixel order is required on some LCDs, but then I
> would propose to merge the rendering options with these settings into a
> new dialog.

It makes sense, though I *always* make use of "detailed" options on my
first-login to configure FreeType2 auto-hinter.  I'm not sure I'm
appropriate test-case, though.

If we're to get rid of these purely technical selections, we'd need
to select one to rule them all.  I prefer "light" (or whatever it is
in English, second option) forms on my LCD with sub-pixel rendering
on.  What about others, what selections did you make?

Cheers,
Danilo