Re: Font Configuration Applet

В Вск, 05/12/2004 в 01:03 +0100, Samuel Abels пишет:
> On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 00:43, Markus Bertheau wrote:
> > > As for the Desktop font: No way. Do not touch it. A nice desktop font
> > > has to be different from the application font, if only for the size.
> >
> > Maybe for the size, but I'm not convinced of that. Maybe just use the
> > general font in a bigger size for that (without a preference). What
> > persona needs a desktop font different from the application font?
>
> Me, and probably hundreds and thousands of other people - not everyone
> loves a flat default theme and one of the greatest advantages of GNOME
> is that it is easy to make it look great.

But GNOME is not for everyone. It's explicitly not for people who like
to tweak their setup a lot with a GUI. You can tweak with gconf. In fact
you can tweak it right the way you do now in my proposal - with gconf.

> The desktop font is strongly related to the selected theme. In fact, I
> even think that desktop themes should provide a font recommendation and
> give the user the possibility to overwrite it by an optional gconf key.
> But until that happens, the font needs to be easily configurable.
>
> > > For the window title fonts... maybe. Though there are probably themes
> > > out there that are designed for other fonts.
> >
> > When it's eye candy vs. less preferences, I think less preferences is
> > more important.
>
> Following this argument, let's remove the background chooser and theming
> as well.

Let's not generalize too much here and concentrate on the font
configuration applet first.

> > I'm not sure if that's the reason for the existence of the monochrome
> > option. I doubt it. It's maybe just for those that don't want
> > antialiasing.
>
> In that case, I'd vote for removal of "Monochrome" and "High Contrast".

Agreed.

--
Markus Bertheau <twanger bluetwanger de>