Re: Font Configuration Applet

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 01:29 +0100, Markus Bertheau wrote:
> > > I'm not sure if that's the reason for the existence of the monochrome
> > > option. I doubt it. It's maybe just for those that don't want
> > > antialiasing.
> >
> > In that case, I'd vote for removal of "Monochrome" and "High Contrast".
>
> Agreed.

On this I feel I must point out one reason we have these options is
because SubPixel does NOT look good on all LCD's. I have only one LCD I
can use SubPixel Rendering on without straining my eyes, and Best
Contrast is the only real solution usually. Best Shapes, also does not
work well on all screens.

I have never found a use case for Monochrome, but I have seen a use for
the other three. Of course if the best choice could always be
autodetected great, but I don't see any sane way of doing that and
definitely not right now.

Also the details I DO need to use sometimes, because of RGB order(some
screens rgb order is inverted/off) and DPI(x.org dpi detection and
setting is broken - not something you can wish away because it might
confuse the user). Its not often needed, but its needed nevertheless,
and the people who might need to change it aren't by necessity those who
can gconf it, just those with a cheaper lcd. Often used no, but needed
until autodetection of everything can be perfected. Which it is
definitely not yet.

Andrew