Re: Font Configuration Applet

On Sun, 2004-12-05 at 00:43, Markus Bertheau wrote:
> > As for the Desktop font: No way. Do not touch it. A nice desktop font
> > has to be different from the application font, if only for the size.
>
> Maybe for the size, but I'm not convinced of that. Maybe just use the
> general font in a bigger size for that (without a preference). What
> persona needs a desktop font different from the application font?

Me, and probably hundreds and thousands of other people - not everyone
loves a flat default theme and one of the greatest advantages of GNOME
is that it is easy to make it look great.

The desktop font is strongly related to the selected theme. In fact, I
even think that desktop themes should provide a font recommendation and
give the user the possibility to overwrite it by an optional gconf key.
But until that happens, the font needs to be easily configurable.

> > For the window title fonts... maybe. Though there are probably themes
> > out there that are designed for other fonts.
>
> When it's eye candy vs. less preferences, I think less preferences is
> more important.

Following this argument, let's remove the background chooser and theming
as well.

> I'm not sure if that's the reason for the existence of the monochrome
> option. I doubt it. It's maybe just for those that don't want
> antialiasing.

In that case, I'd vote for removal of "Monochrome" and "High Contrast".

-Samuel

|      Samuel Abels       |   http://www.debain.org    |
| spam ad debain dod org  | knipknap ad jabber dod org |