Re: [orca-list] Gnome3, Orca and ArchLinux

Hello,
Firstly as Steve mentioned, part of the advantage of a GUI/menu system is the discoverability of features. Yes bash may have bash completion, but for that you need a clue how the command may start.

On the topic of things going down hill in gnome 3, remember that the gnome 2.x stuff was generally a evolutionary development, gnome 3 was a major change and so problems should be expected. If people turn away because of the problem then many of the issues will never be properly pinned down. Think of all the man hours of use gnome 2.x had by the time we got to gnome 2.32 and compare that to the number of man hours of use gnome 3 has had.

On specific issues with the gnome 3 interface, well all changes will not suit someone. In my case I have decided to make use of most of the underlying gnome 3 stuff but use the xfce desktop. At least the menu works more how I want it. I am not totally free of all gnome 3 bugs, I still get issues arising from at-spi2 as I am still using that.

I would say if you can, possibly try and keep using gnome 3 or at least what parts you can and as you find bugs then report them and developers can try and fix them Mike Gorse manage to sort out one crash I was getting at-spi2 within the last couple of days.

Michael Whapples