Re: [orca-list] Gnome3, Orca and ArchLinux

Frost <znvyyvfgf gmail com> wrote:

      Wouldn't it just be easier to go back to basics, ditch
what you can of the stoopid desktop managers, have X11 fire up a
terminal when you log on, and type your program names manually?

I, for one, would like that. I really don't need a graphical desktop
environment; I already spend more than 99% of my time at the console anyway
and I prefer to use Emacs, or my shell prompt, as the desktop.

All I require is to be able to run certain X applications accessibly, which is
where Orca meets an important and valuable need.

What I have done in Gnome is create desktop launchers for the applications I
want, so I can type ctrl-alt-d, type the first character or two of the name of
the application and press enter. Sometimes, it's faster to run Gnome-terminal
and then start the application from the shell with suitable parameters on the
command line.

There are probably minimalist desktop environments around that would suit my
use case better.

As to remembering shell commands and command line options, it's like learning
any language - it becomes easy with practice, and it pays very significant
rewards, which is one of the main reasons why I'm a Linux user, not a Windows
user, a Mac user, etc.