Re: [orca-list] Gnome3, Orca and ArchLinux

Hello,
If all speech output on your system was affected then it sounds like it might be another pulseaudio issue. I have been able to get a reasonably satisfactory set up now on my laptop which uses pulseaudio (thank you Halim), although I still feel pulseaudio is over complicating things.

Halim posted a example default.pa to the list, put that somewhere pulseaudio will find it (I put it in /etc/pulse/default.pa, although be aware that is system wide and user settings may override it, a problem I hit). Now archlinux also provides a asound.conf file to configure alsa applications to use pulseaudio's emulation, comment out the content of this file as we want alsa applications to access alsa directly. Configure speech-dispatcher to use alsa (NOTE: I have had issues where speech-dispatcher has not worked properly with pulseaudio, if you want to use speech-dispatcher with pulseaudio I would recommend using it through libao). Now restart the system (I recommend restarting as it ensures everything has actually been stopped and reloads configurations.

If you still have issues there is one thing which may be wrong: As I mentioned if you put default.pa in the /etc/pulse directory user settings may override this, I had an issue where my GDM user had the default device pulseaudio would use was the actual hardware and so block the device), in this case check your settings (look at files in ~/.pulse) in any user where sound isn't working properly.

I hope this works, it did for me.

Michael Whapples