From: gtkmm-list [mailto:gtkmm-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of L. D. James
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2013 10:58 AM
To: Markus Elfring
Cc: gtkmm-list gnome org
Subject: Re: What is the minimum number of lines to update a gui window without user clicking a button

On 08/20/2013 10:00 AM, Markus Elfring wrote:

But after getting the label widget changed to a textview widget and
having the code actually work, the task was done.

I got the impression that there are still some open issues remaining.

It's common for a new user to an environment to want to see something
very clear... to print a HelloWorld as a starting reference.

That is fine, of course.

Many people might not have problems if the HelloWorld included file
IO, scroll locks, window decorations, and more.

You can choose from which abstraction level and tool box the
experiments should start. I try to point out not to reinvent a coding
wheel.

That's the way it works in my case.

You might be a beginner with GTK+ functions and classes while you
evolved to an advanced or even expert software developer in other
areas through the years eventually. I hope that you enjoy the next
technical challenges.

Regards,
Markus
Thanks! Markus.

And, No.  There aren't any significantly open issues.  The code presented by Alan works perfectly.  It has
already been in production with my clients for over a week without a glitch.

I would be glad to implement a "gprint()" function to ease the flow for some of my other programs/C++
scripts/applications that haven't been implemented with the gui window, as well as some of my future project
and overall understanding and learning.  But as I mentioned, I'm reserving that development for a future
thread.

I really appreciate all the support I have had with this maillist in helping me with my tasks... and of
course I'm testing everything posted to enhance the integrity of my coding.  I hope my testing and reporting
back with keep the community interested in my next phase and continue to offer input.

Out of appreciation for the support that I'm getting, I'm also studying how I can become a contributor.  In
other projects where I have worked, I have contributed in documentation writing, translating, and proofing.
That is were I'm currently researching
(https://wiki.gnome.org/DocumentationProject/Contributing).

 From my reading and the standards described I see it takes a lot of dedication.  I appreciate the patience
the community is showing with me.  I hope to give back to the community with my dedication by following all
the provided steps.

Thanks!

-- L. James

--