Re: What is the minimum number of lines to update a gui window without user clicking a button

On 08/19/2013 11:50 AM, Markus Elfring wrote:
I'm studying in detail the links that you're providing, but I can't see
from those links what specific I should change and still have the code
function as desired.
I'm curious when you start "playing" around with software design extensions for
your small program example.   ;-)

Regards,
Markus
I don't know what you mean by design extensions. But I started out programming in assmebly language in the Late 70's. I went to C in the early 80's. It was all in DOS, not Windows. In the late 90's I started using a "semi" graphical interface by programming perl CGI. I also started using Visual C++ and the MFC environment around that time.

Maybe it's the MFC that you're referring to in "playing" around with software design extensions. For MFC in Visual Studio you basically just draw a box, then output your text to that box with a single line (much like the "gprint" function I want to design for gtkmm/C++).

In around 2005 I started programming in Java (no gui). Then around 2010 I started programming in Java GUI. In 2011 I started programming for the Android. The interface basically used a screen for drawing the window, then a single line to update the text in the window. I started doing the same with Java Applications and Java Applets early this year.

Last month I started trying to do the same thing that I was doing with Java (Applications, Applets, and the Android) with C++ via Gtkmm... thus hear I am.

So, I'm not new to programming, but "playing" around with software design extensions is probably something new.

Somewhere in between those stages I played with python, mono, and a few other languages. But I never did much productive work, just experiments with them.

All the others has easy ways of updating the gui window. At first Gtkmm appeared to be the only interface that didn't have an easy way to update the gui window with new text. The more I "play" with it, the more it appears to be rather easy. I don't believe it's as complicated as many appears to be saying it is. Looking at most of Alan's messages I believe he gave me most of the code from his phone while he was traveling. A couple of times he asked me to wait a couple of days while he got to his computer so the he could run some test.

So, most likely the best answer is that I'm just starting out, "playing" with software design extensions... maybe in the most definitive terms, I might not have quiet started out yet. I'm mainly just using the simple lines of code provided to me by Alan and Kjell and sending text to the gui window.

At present it's working perfectly. Basically I just want to display text to my clients in some manner that it doesn't appear as if the OS is broken. Most of the times when I ask a client to read to me what they see, when they see a black screen, they say they don't see anything. It takes a while for them to realize the black screen has usable information. I'm starting to send the same text to a graphical window. My clients has no problems reading that screen and relating to me what they see.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames apollo3 com