RE: What is the minimum number of lines to update a gui window without user clicking a button

Quoth L. D. James:
Thanks Gavin  I'm glad that your message suggests that I may have done
something right.  I have tried.  I appreciate your pointing out about
bugs in gtkmm.  I'm sure with my investigation I'll eventually learn
about the bugs and try to assist in the debugging of it, as well as
other compoentns that fall short.

What?  How did you possibly read that from what I said?

The code that you wrote has a bug.  There is nothing wrong with GTK or GTKMM, you're just using it wrong.

You are creating a secondary worker thread.  In that worker thread you are accessing a GUI widget.  You can't
do that.  Not being able to do that is not a bug; trying to do it anyway is.

Since you think everyone is telling me something different, I'll follow
your suggestion and reread the thread and keep studying the thread to
see where I'm going wrong.  I understand I might be missing something,
but at present if I can't see it, I can only report on the results and
appreciate any further comments.

So far everyone has been saying the same thing, just phrased differently.  It appears however that you have
not yet understood any of those suggestions.

I even explicitly told you what you should be doing instead (using a queue with a mutex and a Dispatcher),
which is the same thing that Andrew Potter suggested that you try last week (with a code example, no less).

You appear to be telling me to study and use gtk rather than gtkmm. I
fear that if I did that and tried to post something, I might be
admonished even more for not using gtkmm which this forum is about, and
reinventing the wheel.  I'll take your advise and start studying gtk,
but I'll be very leery to start creating my own interface when you
describe it so complicated that it's broken in gtkmm which has been in
the development for a number of years.

No, that is not what I was suggesting.  I was saying that you should first learn how multithreading works in
general.  Then how multithreading works in GTK+/GTKMM (since the two are basically the same thing, just with
different syntactic sugar).  And only then try to apply it to your application.