Re: What is the minimum number of lines to update a gui window without user clicking a button

On 08/20/2013 06:42 AM, Markus Elfring wrote:

I'm sure I can add a lot of highlights and decorations now. But I can't emphasis how important I consider having the rawest and most basic (blank) slate to begin with. The absolute only thing that matters at this point is for me to actually be able to have a gui window and update it with appended or new text.

Are you also interested to write any message to a file?

How do you think about to deal with documents?
http://bakery.sourceforge.net/

Would you like to scroll through the logs?

Regards,
Markus
I don't have any problems with any of the things you're listing. I'm trying to be specific in this particular thread and concentrate on one thing, updating a gui window without a user pressing a button.

It took me about a week to convert Alan's label widget example to a textview widget. I started this thread when I was having problems. But after getting the label widget changed to a textview widget and having the code actually work, the task was done.

While you're giving me lots of documentation to read, and I have enough lined up that I'll be studying it for a very long time, I have found that most of what I actually have needed (as Kjell mentioned) is already there in the Gtkmm tutorial. I believe the only thing it lacked was a clear example of updating a gui window without buttons... a blank slate to work with. So in this thread I'm hoping for clarity on that.

It's common for a new user to an environment to want to see something very clear... to print a HelloWorld as a starting reference. Many people might not have problems if the HelloWorld included file IO, scroll locks, window decorations, and more. But for most beginners, the simplest would be come the easiest to get an immediate grip for starting. If they are able to look at the simplest, understand it, and possibly be able to recreate it from memory they may have a better grip. That's the way it works in my case.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

-- L. James

--
L. D. James