Re: What is the minimum number of lines to update a gui window without user clicking a button

Thanks, Chris.  I may end up using Glib::spawn_async (but I it doesn't appear to be a call for updating text to a gui window) and I may end up using Glib::signal_io().connect()) to send text to the gui window.  This is the first time i see these as ways of updating the gui.

Keep in mind that what I'm trying to do is develop a reusable function that I have named, "gprint()".  I'm sure I'm just about close enough to post a prototype by tomorrow.

Thanks again for all your contributions, and patient for my newness with using a gtkmm widgets.

My only problem with Kjell's example if being able to remove the unwanted ones.  My problem with Alan's solution (which worked perfect) was changing it from label to textview (because of some gaps I was having at the time).

I finally got it figured out how to change the widget from label to text view, now I'm trying to implement the gprint() function.  I have it in place, but it's not clean enough to post it for comments yet.

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
ljames apollo3 com

On Sun, 2013-08-11 at 01:20 +0100, Chris Vine wrote:
On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 19:41:33 -0400
"L. D. James" <ljames apollo3 com> wrote:
[snip]
> While I'm having problems just sending text to a window, you're
> suggesting that I dive figure and use gtkmm for my other calls.  I
> might get to that at some time.  But at present, I just want to use
> gtkmm to output to a gui screen instead of a black screen.

You keep missing the point.  If you don't want to use zenity, as I said
use Glib::spawn_async_with_pipes() and Glib::signal_io().connect().
That is the correct way to do it.

Chris