Re: What is the minimum number of lines to update a gui window without user clicking a button

On 08/19/2013 04:18 PM, Markus Elfring wrote:
I don't know what you mean by design extensions.
I find that strange to some degree ...

I've mentioned numerous times that I have some glitches in my experience. I never took up formal education in programming. I studied business and accounting in college. I'm self taught in programming.

While I'm self-taught, I do tutor college students who has come to me, often, when they were failing and getting "D's". With my assistance it always changes to A's. The owner of one of the most prominent entities on the web was tutored by me.

But, yes. I have some real glitches. Some of the gaps are being filled in by the discussions of the threads I have started in this maillist.
But I started out programming in assmebly language in the Late 70's. I went
to C in the early 80's.  It was all in DOS, not Windows.  In the late 90's
I started using a "semi" graphical interface by programming perl CGI. I also
started using Visual C++ and the MFC environment around that time.
I assume that you are used to the selection and application of design patterns
if you mention such a long software development experience.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_design_pattern

Thanks for the definition of software design pattern. And based on what I have just read, I have been using it. I just never used the term. I also promote this in my tutoring.

I'm sure it's a component of software design pattern of which the namesake of this thread is about. I have a goal of easily updating a gui window with new text. While that code is working fine (as provided by Alan), I still look forward to implementing a "gprint" function to consolidate 3 lines into one line. The code to do that might take months and end up being a couple of hundred lines. Just as, I haven't explored the code involved in the function, "cout", but I'd be surprised if it's less than a couple of hundred lines.

The namesake of this thread is to first understand how to actually achieve an update to the gui window, of which I published the code.

You're saying it's broke. While it appears to work perfectly in every way, I'd be glad to see some code that I could test that wouldn't be broken according to your expertise.

I sincerely appreciate the jargon that I'm learning in the meantime.
Most of the times when I ask a client to read to me what they see, when they see
a black screen, they say they don't see anything.  It takes a while for them
to realize the black screen has usable information.
How do you think about any fine-tuning for text colours in your log console?

Might a Curses-based user interface also be sufficient for your use case?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curses_%28programming_library%29
Every thing you mention can be an enhancement. The examples in the gtkmm documentation has lots of font controls, word wrappings, window scrolling and many other features. The examples were rather confusing for me as a beginner. I'm sure I can add a lot of highlights and decorations now. But I can't emphasis how important I consider having the rawest and most basic (blank) slate to begin with. The absolute only thing that matters at this point is for me to actually be able to have a gui window and update it with appended or new text.

I'd appreciate some validation from you if I have gotten it right (to be able to append text to a blank window), or an example that you consider more "right" than the code assistance I currently have from Alan.

I haven't experimented with colors, but I did very easily change the fonts. I'm sure changing the colors would be just as easy.

My main reason for switching from the label widget of the original code from Alan to the textview widget is because in my research it appeared that font and text output manipulation was easier with the textview widget.

Thanks!

-- L. James

--
L. D. James