Re: [Gimp-user] Error.

You know, I used to think abut that, like letting the computer rest.
That's very funny. But other than replacing the hard drive or the
operating system, which you probably couldn't do either by yourself,
here's what you really need to consider.
I wish I had thought of it earlier.
On Windows Vista you can use the restore feature to return it to an
earlier version
of the computer's setup. Preferably before whatever software changes
occurred to make Gimp run badly, or even perhaps before you ever
installed Gimp.
However, remember, this feature will totally wipe any changes made to
your computer back to the point you choose, so any files, images,
contacts, bookmarks etc you wish to save you will have to extract and
burn to a disk, ie get off the machine, before you do this process,
because it's likely they won't be there anymore.
Here's a web page about using it, and i'd research it more if I were you:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-system-restore/

The other thing, is that I believe that the restore function does by
itself set up points to return the system to, even if you have never
initiated it and established such points yourself. But I am not sure
about that, I only used restore in Win 7. So you'll have to see what
possibilities, time periods or points, it offers you to travel back
to. And remember, I believe this will delete any installed security
patches for Vista as well, so you will have to reinstall those again,
though I have the feeling you may have not been doing that faithfully
unless it's set on automatic.
Don't you have a friend or a local shop that you could affordably (or
for free) take it to?
It sure would make it easier for you.
Dan