Re: [Gimp-user] Error.

2012/11/4 Steve Kinney <admin pilobilus net>

Ubuntu 10 has worked great for me but alas, Canonical has gone the
way of the "dedicated touchscreen interface".  I will be bailing out
when the version I am using reaches "end of life" next year.  Can't
sit a very computer illiterate user in front of the "Unity" desktop,
and expect them to figure it out and use it without problems.  Can't
expect me to toss 20 years of reasonably efficient workflow habits
out the window either...

You don't need to do that. Using Ubuntu 12.04 with the look and feel of Ubuntu 10.04 is rather easy. Of course, it needs a little work, but nothing complicated. I'm using that on all my computers and on all the computers I manage. The major visible differences is that I cannot use any more the theme I liked (but probably still a little more work probably would do that, if it was so important), and the System global menu is now hidden in the Applications menu.

I did not yet try version 12.10, and Ubuntu Gnome Remix 12.10 seems promising, but it uses Gnome 3, which some people consider as much offending as Unity...

I have been very impressed with Mint - the other day I had occasion
to use the Live DVD in conjunction with a printer/scanner on a
random PC on a random office LAN, and the thing "just worked" all
around.

Mint is very pleasant and refreshing indeed, and I'll shift to it if combining Ubuntu 12.10 with Gnome 2 is impossible.

Running an OS that works for not against the user is a very
addictive thing.  Token on-topic reference:  The GIMP was the first
major gateway drug that started me down the path to a 100% Free
Software world.  Ubuntu stopped including the GIMP in its default
installation package, and that's another strike against Canonical...
sure it's stupidly easy to install, but dang it, GNU/Linux is
supposed to include the GIMP right out of the box, is all!

:o)

The only problem, in my opinion, is that Ubuntu still insists on fitting on a CD instead of a DVD, for reasons I don't know.

--
Olivier Lecarme