Re: [Evolution] Idealism face plants against asphalt [Was: downloads page]

On 27 August 2013 00:08, Ralf Mardorf <ralf mardorf rocketmail com> wrote:
On Mon, 2013-08-26 at 23:48 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:

> > Were do you get the information from, that not most users compile from
> > source? Is there a link to this information available?
>
> Sorry, I used my experience, I apologise that the statement isn't backed
> up by a research project.

I guess most Linux is used by Android users, satellite tv receiver users
etc., so yes, most people using Linux even aren't aware that they're
using Linux and they unlikely compile anything, but regarding to Linux
distributions I'm uncertain. Less people download Gentoo, Arch etc.,
than people download Ubuntu, Suse etc., but people who download Ubuntu
often don't use Linux, they just test it and even those who use Ubuntu,
Suse etc., tend to download a new release again and again, unlikely that
e.g. an Arch user will do this. People who have special needs regarding
to Linux userspace very often need to compile by their own, such as rt
patched kernels for pro-audio usage. Compiling is the old school *nix
way, has this really changed? It hasn't for most mailing lists I join.

That's by its nature a self-selecting list. I would side with Pete on this, i.e. I don't think self-compiling is at all common. However this is getting even more OT than the original topic of this thread. I suggest further discussion of this take place off-list.

poc