Re: [Evolution] Idealism face plants against asphalt [Was: downloads page]

On Mon, 2013-08-26 at 23:22 +0100, Pete Biggs wrote:
What is the downloads page for?

It's for pointing people at the source code - remember, this is FOSS,
one of the requirements is that the source code is freely and easily
available.

The distro, or anybody who distribute FLOSS has to make the source
available, not somebody who develops something ;). I can do what I want
at home, as even a big project could do, without providing a source
code, even if GPL'ed stuff is used, as long it isn't distributed.

t's usually better to use something like
JHBuild which would get the source from the Git repository.

I use git to pull from a git source tree ;). But a tarball on a download
site usually provides the current stable branch, while by git you quasi
need to search for the stable branch.

Were do you get the information from, that not most users compile from
source? Is there a link to this information available?