Re: [Evolution] Idealism face plants against asphalt [Was: downloads page]

What is the downloads page for?

It's for pointing people at the source code - remember, this is FOSS,
one of the requirements is that the source code is freely and easily
available.

  It is obviously not for users to download Evolution for themselves
to use so who is it for?

Some do use it, but it's certainly not something that *most* users would
do.  Indeed, to compile Evo, it's usually better to use something like
JHBuild which would get the source from the Git repository.

I consider myself to be a fairly competent Linux user of many years and
perfectly capable of compiling packages.  But I resist the temptation to
compile packages that are available in repositories because it means
that the packages are taken out of the standard update mechanism; I
would have to monitor various sites for critical/security updates and
then recompile the code everytime it's updated.  Far better to let the
distro maintainers do all the QC and compatibility checks.

P.