[Evolution] Idealism face plants against asphalt [Was: downloads page]

On Mon, 2013-08-26 at 14:24 +0100, Tom Davies wrote:
Quality often seems to come with quantity.

Eh?

 In anarchist/co-operative groups it's often been the most disruptive
people that got turned around by the nature of the group/organisation
and become a driving force, even Chairperson or Company Secretary.

What are you talking about?  This is a FLOSS project.

However to find those "gems" the group accepts tons of people and
although most of those turn out to help in minor ways with easy things
it's difficult to always see exactly what they are doing.

No, with FLOSS the process of winnowing the developers happens
naturally, with the emphasis being on people who winnow themselves out.

1.  Easier to download and install.
People here obviously find it easy to compile but

What?  You are engaging in blatant conflations.  Users are not
developers,  users will never compile anything.

most people out there haven't got a clue and find it too scary as a
prospect.  Much easier to download and install a competitor such as
Thunderbird or Claws and miss out on all the amazing things Evo can do
that those others can't.

I install a LINUX distribution, then I install Evolution from there.
THAT IS HOW LINUX SOFTWARE DISTRIBUTION WORKS,  VIA THE
***DISTRIBUTION*** - HENCE THE NAME "DISTRIBUTION"!

2.  Some sort of forum

There is one, you are in it!

3.  A donations button

And donate to whom?

How many FLOSS projects have you actively participated in or contributed
to?

When you fixed the problem i was having and got Evo working on one
machine i was almost ready to donate even though i am a little
scottish and very careful about avoiding spending.  If Evo had a
"donate" button in easy reach i might have clicked it for some small
amount, maybe $5 or $10.

There are several websites that allow you to post bounties on project
bugs.  I have bounties on project bugs, including ones on Evolution.
Some have been closed.

Generally the developer's response is - I don't care.  In the past I've
offered as much as several hundred dollars on a bug, had it closed, and
been told by the developer he didn't care about the bounty.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam whitemice org> GPG D95ED383