Re: [Evolution] Idealism face plants against asphalt [Was: downloads page]

On Mon, 2013-08-26 at 16:13 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
On Mon, 2013-08-26 at 20:54 +0100, Tom Davies wrote:

Do you have a list of distros i can use Evolution on?

Install openSUSE
zypper ar -f obs://GNOME:STABLE:3.8/openSUSE_12.3 GS3
zypper dup --from GS38

Works great.  I'm always as close to current as I want to be.

OR, if you're not comfortable with the terminal:
Click yast
Click Manage Software
Search evolution
Click Evolution check box
Click Finish

Yast is considered by many, if not most, to be one of the best reasons
to choose openSUSE over another distribution.

All I know about other distros is that Ubuntu people are constantly
constantly griping about how that linux-for-humans distributions is
borking them up [and at the same time saying it is awesome...].

Hear, hear!  I installed and tried Ububtu and found it unstable.  Not
awesome at all.  Then again, it was free for the downloading.  I tried
it, didn't care for it, and so removed it.  At no time did I join their
forum to complain and demand that it be changed to suit my liking.

I've nominated a motto for openSUSE of "LINUX for people who need
to get work done", but I that probably is two much of a snub. :)

It is however, exactly why I use, and have used it now for quite a long
time (since 8.1).  And, I've never compiled anything.  The one or two
times I tried with some esoteric package, and failed, someone on the
openSUSE forum jumped right in, compiled it for me and provided the
binary within hours of asking.

In all these years, I've never felt the need to complain to the people
who (mostly without financial compensation) provide functional, secure,
stable software for me to use at the cost of a simple download.  It
would never occur to me to threaten them with the removal of their
software and the use of a "competitor's" product, as I'm sure most
developers of FOSS view this with the same feeling of humor as I.

I'll sure be pleased when this thread expires!

Bart