Re: [Evolution] Idealism face plants against asphalt [Was: downloads page]

On Mon, 2013-08-26 at 20:15 +0100, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
If "users will never compile anything" then why are we expected to do
so?

They are not; nobody said they were.

You say that Evo is available from the downloads page.

I did not say any such thing.  And it would depend upon your definition
of "Evo" and your definition of "available".

However, the only versions available from there need to be compiled in
order to be used.

Correct, because DISTRIBUTIONS distribute FLOSS software.

That is CRYSTAL &@Y&@ )@(@* * CLEAR.  And understood by everybody
running a FLOSS OS/environment.  It is called a "DISTRIBUTION", for pete
sakes.

If users are unable to compile anything then the downloads page has
nothing that can be used by users.

Yep.

So how are users expected to get the latest versions of Evo?  Just
wait until whichever distro i use happens to upgrade?

Yes.  And the overall distribution does not need to, you just subscribe
to a repository for that distribution which does.  Standard practice.

I'm on openSUSE, it is just a couple of clicks and I'm subscribe to the
GNOME latest repo.  Done.

You tell me to write to a 3rd party but then fail to give me an
address of someone that will respond to my request.

You do not know what distribution you are using?  Since they DISTRIBUTED
the software to you...

It makes no sense to have to write to a 3rd party in order to get your
software.

Okay, then stop using FLOSS.  Because that is how it work 99.44% of the
time.  Some projects may choose to package on their own, and then they
very frequently distribute packages that do not work correctly.

What is the downloads page for?

Don't know.

It is obviously not for users to download Evolution for themselves to
use so who is it for?

Developers possibly, although they will almost certainly subscribe to a
code repository.  So maybe it doesn't really have a purpose; but then
nobody uses it.  Move on.

--
Adam Tauno Williams <mailto:awilliam whitemice org> GPG D95ED383