Re: Gnome 2.14 Module Proposal: Deskbar Applet

Hi,

Straying from the topic a little bit...

On Sat, 2005-10-29 at 14:19 +0200, Raphael Slinckx wrote:
> It's also worth mentionning that in theory, deskbar could work with
> beagle only, but in practice, beagle isn't installed by default
> everywhere, beagle is not production ready, and filtering the returned
> results vie the libbeagle seems uneasy. Beale indexes browser bookmarks,
> history and .desktop files (at least it used to, now it doesn't seem to
> do it)

These days indexing of .desktop files is handled by a system-wide
indexer which is run from cron, so that they can be shared by all users
on the system.  So that might be why you're not seeing them.

As for filtering things out, you can specify what hit types and mime
types you want back, so you should be able to query only against web
history and applications and get back what you want.  This is what we're
doing for nautilus now (only querying/displaying files).

We can discuss it more on dashboard-hackers or privately if you need
more or a different API. :)

Joe